Tuesday 18 September 2012

U72: C1 Initial game ideas

Two primary concepts:

We had to choose between two of five design briefs. I chose design brief 1 & 2. The 2D game & 3D game about time travel

________________________________________________________________________

Design brief 1 - 2D Game

Inspiration:
When I read the briefing, I thought of things I could of made from an Artic setting. I played around with a few generic ideas of eskimos, artic animals and such but then thought of Skyrim - One area in particular called "Alftand" is a very old ruin, hidden beneath a snowy Tundra and excavated by treasure hunters. As you go deeper inside, the icy caverns melt away to reveal the structure within, melted ice, droplets of water, pools and snowed in areas litter the place. The atmosphere of this place was really intense as you could hear and see the battle for the steam pipes and machinery become under constant threat from the harsh conditions of the artic lands. This was a main inspiration for my 2D. The seconardy part was my innate love of the steampunk fantasy setting, I threw a few ideas around of what NPCs I could have such as humans, animals and such, but I thought i'd prefer it would be good to fight the old Automatons as they would make interesting enemies. We had to also include health picks up and I wondered how such a wasteland could have such a thing - So I thought being one of these Golems, they could harvest the abundance of scrap, wires and coal fuel to power and repair themselves. Now another dilemma occured "Who made these golems, and why aren't there any humans around?" While i've always been a fan of the whole 'isolated, post apocalyptic' scenario where it feels like one man against the world, I love the feeling you get from this feeling of being in a land where you know nothing and have no one. Thus I decided to make him the sole 'sane' Golem, while the others would be its rampant counterparts - Thus the scenario of the game was considered. Considering it was now Post-apocalyptic I wondered how I could imrpove what the game world would look like and settle on littering wreckage and old piping, mining rigs and machinery both intact and destroyed, around the game world to set the scene of this new world.

(Add images from Alftand and Fallout)
_________________________________________________________________

Inspiration: My inspiration for the Chronomancer came partly from World of Warcraft, I frequently roleplay on that game as a Mage who consistently drifts through time rifts and finds himself in all kinds of trouble. My love of Chronomancy stems from its unique and diversity that standard magic misses. Instead of the generic fire frost arcane spells, one could blink instantly, bend time to slow his foes, increase his own speed, remove himself from time temporarily or even open other time rifts to clone himself. This sort of "Time magic" has always fascinated me and so I included this into my Roleplay Character. From here, i've managed to refine and improve the story, image and other assets of my character. Furthermore, as I stated earlier, I am a massive fan of Steampunk and technology so I blended this into his character as well by making him an inventor. However, my love of both magic and technology wanted me to take it further, and thus I began to introduce something called "Mechamagicks" which is the fusion of magic into technology. For example creating Magical grenades, Elemental flamethrowersm, enchanted rifles and such. I adopted most of this character's traits into the one I would use in the 3D game, because of the similarity of my Chronomancer and the Time travel brief. Another bit of inspiration came from a game I used to play years ago on the SNES called "Chrono Trigger" After remembering this game, I began playing it again using an emulator and it is an RPG game that involves time travel to the past, future and present. I was inspired by its style and design and decided to also incorperate elements of its style.

1 comment:

  1. Good - this covers your initial ideas and links with examples

    ReplyDelete